Thursday, September 22, 2011

Deaf like me.

This week here at the BYU is accessibility week. It focuses on being aware of people with disabilities, and appreciate how difficult things can be for them. There were different things you could experience, like using a wheel chair, or crutches, or wearing an eye patch. I decided to simulate hearing impairment, to be able to understand what my dad goes through a little bit more. As I did this, I took some notes of thoughts I had:
  • I can see people talking, but have no idea what they're saying.
  • I hope no one says hi to me, then is offended because I couldn't hear them and didn't say hi back.
  • I wish there was a way people could know I can't hear them.
  • That girl's shoes must be really loud if even I can hear them.
  • I wonder if this room is as awkwardly quiet as it seems
  • I'd probably say hi to this guy and remind him who I was if I could hear what he'd say back without making it weird and awkward and loud.
  • I CAN'T HEAR ANYTHING
  • I feel like I am in an entirely different world than anyone else
  • I should wear these earplugs whenever I need to concentrate.
  • Good thing I got here early enough to get a seat on the front row. It'd be hard to have to be early for every class.
  • Has the subject we were talking about passed? Is what I'm going to ask now even relevent?
  • I sure hope I just said "amen" to a prayer I agree with, because I have no idea what he just said.
So, yeah. I'm really grateful to have all my hearing. Now I especially don't mind people making fun of me for wearing ear plugs at concerts, or not keeping my phone on loud. It was good to be able to see a little bit more of what my dad feels all the time.

1 comment:

Dyl said...

You didn't need to use the wheel chair because you have already tried it...at Disneyland!!! Good times...